There are many articles of advice on how to reduce our impact on pollution, waste, climate degradation and so on. It is becoming clear by now that change starts with us, with these small gestures of everyday life that collectively will push industrials to adapt to this new demand and boost the efforts of those who actively work to produce consciously. It does not take much and every little thing makes a difference: if you are worried about the future of the planet it is much more energising to turn this concern into action rather than to stay paralysed in fear. We can do it!
It can be hard however to discern which acts are the most effective. Today I share with you five recommendations based on The Freaks & Foundation Pour la Nature et Pour l’Homme, the result of an alliance between a punk rock band and an organisation for protection of nature. They have worked hard to bring to us this list and I recommend you give it a read. Some steps have been recurrent in my journey toward having a more positive impact and therefore I have summarised them below. They are good and easy starting points for planet and life mindfulness.
- When you can, walk, bike, skate, roller-blade instead of taking the car. For longer routes, go for public transport or electric vehicles.
- As much as you can, go for reusable containers: for coffee on the go, water, for fruits and vegetables, etc. Privilege glass containers and recyclables, do not buy plastic wrapped produce.
- When you buy a new piece of clothing, think carefully if you need it and where it comes from. If you really fancy it, make sure you donate another one in return.
- Replace baths (or share them) with quick showers (5-10 min) and yes, pee in the shower 🙂
- Turn off lights and unplug electronic devices. Switch to an electricity provider that is sustainable if you can.
Overall, a great way to manage your impact is to keep in mind the five R’s: Reuse, Reduce, Recycle, Repair, Reject.
I will post more about how to adapt your eating habits in another post and talk about my experience. Have you tried any of these or did you already follow these simple steps? I would love to hear from you !